2012 Can-Am Commander™ 1000 X
Call for Price
The Can-Am Commander 1000 X has an 85-hp Rotax 1000 engine that leaves all other rec-utility side-by-sides in its dust. And with its dual-level cargo box, this is the only side-by-side vehicle that can carry 600 lb (272 kg) while maintaining its performance capability. It combines the features of a sportier vehicle with legitimate cargo capacity, plus more off-road capable features than any other side-by-side, giving you unbeatable versatility.
X Package Added Features
Front and rear Fox Racing Shox shocks: Front and rear Fox Racing Shox HGP C47 piggyback shocks with duel-level speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustments. Large-diameter design and piggyback construction help dissipate heat.
Front sway bar: Reduces body roll in aggressive cornering conditions with a 5/8' (1.6 cm) diameter front swar bar.
12-in. aluminum beadlock wheels: Reinforced with a mechanical fastener to prevent breakage of the tire from the bead for added performance under heavy acceleration and cornering.
27-in. Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires: The lightweight radial tires offer a smoother ride, predictable cornering and optimum climbing confidence.
Analog/digital gauge: State-of-the-art instrumentation including analog tachometer and speedometer, and a digital information center.
Heavy-duty front bumper: Beefier looks and functionality to enhance the fascia on the Commander.
Rock sliders: Rock sliders improve the machine's off-road protection in rugged terrain. Allows sliding against obstacles like rocks and trees in challenging terrain. Help keep obstacles away from the body panels of the vehicle.
Custom steering wheel with brushed aluminum center piece
X-package seat trim and graphics: The Commander 1000 X has its own seat design and colors to match its exclusive configuration. Stunning black design with yellow accents exclusive to the X package.
- Front and rear Fox Racing Shox® HPG piggyback shocks with dual speed compression, rebound and preload adjustments
- Front sway bar
- 12-in. aluminum beadlock wheels
- Maxxis Bighorn® 2.0 tires
- Rock sliders
- X-package seat trim and graphics
- 85-hp Rotax 1000 engine: Liquid-cooled, 8-valve Rotax 976cc V-twin pumps out a class-leading 85 horsepower, yet is refined thanks to EFI and iTC.The liquid-cooled, single overhead cam power plant features four valves per cylinder and is fed by a 54-mm Bosch® throttle body and two VDO Seimens® fuel injectors. The sophisticated electronic fuel injection system automatically keeps the engine's performance at its peak, regardless of temperature or altitude.*As per manufacturer's official MY11 declaration to the California Air Resources Board and based on mileage estimates from BRP internal testing.
- Intelligent Throttle Control (iTC): iTC's throttle-by-wire set up improves throttle response, smoothes power delivery and ensure precision throttle control even in the roughest of terrain. The Rotax engine uses a throttle-by-wire system for more accurate throttle response and a smooth power delivery. If the driver's foot bounces on the gas pedal in rough terrain, iTC detects unwanted bounces and filters the input, resulting in more throttle accuracy, especially at low speed. It also reduces the number of moving parts in the vehicle; has no cable to adjust, lubricate, or replace; and the system has an increased life span.
- Quick-ratio steering system (10.2:1): A quicker steering ratio means more responsive handling with pinpoint accuracy and control. The steering ratio of the Can-Am Commander is 10.2:1. This translates to more accurate, responsive and precise control.
- Double A-arm front suspension with dive-control geometry: The Can-Am Commander's double A-arm front suspension is designed with dive-control geometry that works to eliminate diving under heavy breaking and rough terrain. The front end features 10 in. of travel (25 cm) and five-way preload-adjustable motion-control shocks.
- Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) rear suspension with external sway bar: Exclusive to Can-Am, TTI eliminates scrub and camber changes by using proprietary geometry that places the pivot points ahead of the rear wheels. The Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) rear suspension is the only independent rear suspension that eliminates scrub and camber changes. Because the pivot points are ahead of the wheels, the rear wheels pivot up and down, which ensures that the vehicle only moves in the direction you point it. TTI has fewer parts than competitive designs and significantly decreases tire wear.
- Visco-Lok® auto-locking differential: Visco-Lok automatically and progressively engages the front wheels for authentic 4x4 traction without the push of a button. The industry's only progressive auto-locking front differential that engages all wheels at any speed. It constantly monitors front wheel speed, and if it detects one wheel spinning faster than its mate, it progressively sends more power to the wheel with better traction. All without the driver having to push buttons or pull levers.
- Large Motion Control gas bag shocks: The front end, which features 10 inches of travel (25cm), has the largest diameter front, five-way preload-adjustable gas shocks in its class (36mm or 1.4 inches) for overall durability and better fade resistance.
- Adjustable driver seat and tilt steering: Automotive-type adjustments, that require no tools and offer the driver superb comfort levels.
- Industry's exclusive Dual-level cargo box: The industry's most versatile and usable cargo box design has a 600-lb cargo capacity, dual storage levels, anti-rust box and tilt-assist dumping. Industry's first cargo box with two levels separated by a removable, water-resistant panel. It offers the possibility to have an upper and a lower bed with their independent tailgate. Carrying capacity of the box is 13.1 cu ft /372 l of total volume and 600 lb. The tilt-assist dump-bed can be easily activated from both sides. Its single latch upper and lower gates are easily removable and no tools are required. Made of high-strength, anti-rust, anti-dent composite. Also comes with an optional trunk lock as an accessory to secure lower level.
- 2-in. diameter ROPS-approved cage: ROPS-approved, 2-in. steel cage that is fully approved using the Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) industry standard.
- 27-in. Carlisle Black Rock radial tires: Purpose-built, six-ply Carlisle Black Rock radial tires mounted on 12-in. wheels provide great traction and control in a wide variety of conditions
- Quick-attach side nets: Located on both sides of the vehicle, side nets can be operated by one hand and won't impair the occupants' vision. Get in and out quickly with this simple one-hand and one-click system. Designed to maintain a clear field of vision for driver and passenger.
- 240-W lighting: 240-W lighting The Can-Am Commander family of side-by-side vehicles features the industry's best lighting system at 240 watts. Automotive-style projectors, on each side, run at 120 watts in low beam and 240 watts in high-beam mode.
- 650-W magneto: With its 650-W Magneto, the Commander's electrical system has up to 300 free W to power accessories.
- 10-gal gas tank: The industry's largest fuel tank lets you ride longer and work harder. With a capacity that's 11 % more than its nearest competitor, the industry's largest gas tank (10 gal) supplies maximum range for work and play.
- Driver and passenger advanced ergonomics: The Can-Am Commander was designed with a more ergonomic seating and steering position than competitive side-by-sides. This provides an optimal seating position, automotive-like ergonomics, low hip position (H point), easier ingress / egress, optimal comfort when riding and more legroom.
- Cockpit storage: The Can-Am Commander models feature 1,928 cu in of convenient and versatile cockpit storage space so you can take your essentials with you.
- Removable free-standing seats: The freestanding Commander seats can be removed from the machine without tools. Full bolster seats provide lumbar and shoulder support, and provide comfort in aggressive riding situations. Both seats are easily removable and come with an integrated stand offering a comfortable seating position when used outside of the vehicle.
- Passenger handhold and grab bar: The passenger handhold and grab bar provide a comfortable location for passenger's to place their hands while riding off-road. Ergonomically designed passenger handholds are located immediately in front of the passenger and to their left-hand side.
- Dual cup holders: Purpose-built for use off-road, twin cup holders feature integrated rubber flaps.
- D.E.S.S.™ (Digitally Encoded Security System): The industry's first standard anti-theft device. The Can-Am Commander comes with two different keys. One that limits top speed to 44 mph (70 km/h). The second is the performance key with no limitation on speed or power. An optional third work key is available for purchase and limits top speed to 25 mph (40 km/h) for use on work sites.
- 11-in. of ground clearance: For maximum performance in challenging terrain, the Commander has 11-in. of ground clearance. With 11 total inches of ground clearance the Commander can tackle brutal conditions and challenging terrain. Its suspension also features integrated sag to let it work in its travel “sweet spot.”
- 214-mm disc brakes with twin-piston calipers: Outboard disc brakes with 214-mm discs and twin-piston calipers. Large 214-mm outboard hydraulic disc brakes feature twin-piston callipers to provide superb stopping power.
- 1,500-lb. towing capacity: Tow heavy loads of up to 1,500 lb with the Commander . Working with a Commander side-by-side vehicle is a snap with its ability to tow up to 1,500 lb.
- 2-in. rear hitch receiver: Standard 2-in. hitch receiver accommodates a tow vehicle's towing bar. The Commander has a standard 2-in. rear receiver hitch that can work with a standard vehicle towing bar.
- Fits in the bed of most full-size pickup trucks: The Commander family can fit in the bed of most full-size pickup trucks. Many full-size pick-up truck owners will be pleased to know the Commander will fit in the bed of their truck.
- Easy-to-use maintenance center: Easily accessible and out of the elements under the hood, a centralized maintenance area allows access to the air box, radiator and coolant overflow. Fuses and relays are also easily accessible.
- Type: 976cc, V-twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve/cyl)
- Bore & Stroke: 91 x 75 mm
- Fuel System: iTC™ with EFI and 54mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens® VDO injectors
- Starting System: Electric
- Transmission: CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse. Standard engine braking
- Drive Train: Selectable 2WD/4WD shaft driven with Visco-Lok® front differential
- Frame: Steel
- Cage type: 2-inch diameter, high-strength steel, ROPS-approved
- Steering wheel adjustment: Adjustable tilt steering
- Front Suspension Type/Shocks: Double A-arm with dive-control geometry / Motion Control shocks
- Front Suspension Travel: 10 in. (254 mm)
- Rear Suspension Type/Shocks: Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) with external sway bar/ Motion Control shocks
- Rear Suspension Travel: 10 in. (254 mm)
- Front Brakes: Dual 214 mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brake: Single 214 mm ventilated disc brake with hydraulic twin-piston caliper
- Tires/Front: Carlisle® Black Rock 27 x 9 x 12 in. (686 x 229 x 305 mm)
- Tires/Rear: Carlisle® Black Rock 27 x 9 x 12 in. (686 x 229 x 305 mm)
- Wheels: Steel
- L x W x H: 118.3 x 58.6 x 72 in. (3,004 x 1,489 x 1,829 mm)
- Wheelbase: 75.8 in. (1,924 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 11 in. (279 mm)
- Dry Weight: 1,295 lb. (585 kg)
- Towing Capacity: 1,500 lb. (680 kg)
- Cargo Box Capacity Total: 600 lb. (272 kg)
- Cargo Box Capacity Upper: 400 lb. (181 kg)
- Cargo Box Capacity Lower: 200 lb. (91 kg)
- Cockpit Storage Glove Box: 4.5 gal. (17.2 L)
- Cockpit Storage Under driver seat: 3.5 gal. (13.1 L)
- Fuel Capacity: 10 US gal. (37.8 L)
- Instrumentation: Multi-function gauge: Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip and hour meters, fuel, gear position, sport mode, seat belt and 4x4 indicator, diagnostics, clock, auto shut off
- Anti-Theft: D.E.S.S.™ (Digitally Encoded Security System)
- Electrical: Prewired for winch
- Lighting: 4 60-watt projectors with tail lights/brake light
- DC Outlet: Lighter type in console, standard connector in the back (15A)
- Color(s) available: Yellow & Black
- Basic: 6 months limited factory warranty
- Extended : B.E.S.T. available from 6 to 18 months
- Engine Type
- 976cc, V-twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve/cyl)
- Bore and Stroke
- 91 x 75 mm
- Fuel System
- iTC™ with EFI and 54mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens® VDO injectors
- Front Suspension
- Double A-arm with dive-control geometry / Motion Control shocks
- Front Brakes
- Dual 214 mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers
- Front Tire
- Carlisle® Black Rock 27 x 9 x 12 in. (686 x 229 x 305 mm)
- Rear Suspension
- Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI) with external sway bar/ Motion Control shocks
- Rear Brakes
- Single 214 mm ventilated disc brake with hydraulic twin-piston caliper
- Rear Tire
- Carlisle® Black Rock 27 x 9 x 12 in. (686 x 229 x 305 mm)
- Dry Weight
- 1,295 lb. (585 kg)
- 75.8 in. (1,924 mm)
- Front Travel
- 10 in. (254 mm)
- Rear Travel
- 10 in. (254 mm)
- Ground Clearance
- 11 in. (279 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 10 gal. (37.8 L)
- Box Capacity
- 600 lb. (272 kg)
- Towing Capacity
- 1,500 lb. (680 kg)
- CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse. Standard engine braking
- Drive System
- Selectable 2WD/4WD shaft driven with Visco-Lok® front differential
- Yellow & Black
- Basic: 6 months limited factory warranty; Extended: B.E.S.T. available from 6 to 18 months